Friday, October 17, 2014

Alternative




Alternative

Adapted from Bishop Roberto Jemmott’s daily publication “Words of Encouragement" The Lord's Servants Must Excel (October 16, 2014)


Growing up I hated when my mother would tell me not to do something without given me an alternative or another option. My mother would say, "Don't go swimming in the lake." I would question her as to why I should not go swimming in the lake, and she would answer "because I said so." I hated that response and I promised myself that I would never say it once I became a parent, but when I became a parent I did the same thing. What my mother should have said when I questioned her was that the lake was filled with alligators and that I should only swim in the pool or beach. The Bible is replete with alternatives, one such text is Ephesians 5:18 (NLT): "Don't be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit,"

The Second Epistle to Timothy was written during Paul's second arrest and imprisonment, which eventually resulted in his execution. This Epistle was Paul's final message to his spiritual son Timothy. Paul warned Timothy that he should not quarrel; but that he should be kind, teachable, and have patience when dealing with difficult people.

"A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people." 2 Timothy 2:24 (NLT)

Notice the one negative (must not quarrel) and the three positive things that Timothy needed to excel in rather than to quarrel with people. Let's look closely at each positive thing Paul instructed Timothy to excel in.

First, be kind; not just to the saints or his friends, but to everyone, even those outside the faith. Remember, kindness is part of the fruit of the Spirit. "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,"   Galatians 5:22 (NLT)

Second, he tells Timothy to teach at every opportunity. As believers, we need to be teachers not only with our words but with the lives we live. "Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others." 2 Timothy 2:1b (NLT)

Third, Timothy needed to learn how to be patient with difficult people. This is perhaps one of the most difficult things to do because difficult people don't make it easy for us to be patient with them; nevertheless we need to do it. Here is my confession and prayer:  Lord, you know I need help being patient with difficult people!

Remember, the Lord's servants are to be kind to everybody, teachers of the Gospel and patient with difficult people.

Be Blessed,

Bishop Jemmott

No comments:

Post a Comment